Help build an ecosystem of thriving entrepreneurs, one startup at a time.
ActivateNM a startup accelerator for early-stage New Mexico businesses. The program uses a rigorous Lean Startup training and mentorship program to support companies in their journey. For more information (including dates) about the program, please visit our Accelerator Program page.
What do ActivateNM mentors do?
Mentors are experienced and active entrepreneurs/connectors who believe in the Lean Startup approach to building high-growth companies right here in NM. Mentors play a key role in building New Mexico as a thriving ecosystem of entrepreneurs.
Mentors commit at least five hours to companies in the cohort via a couple of main contributions:
|Present a Topic||Guide a Team|
|Mentors who facilitate a topic discussion generally commit one to two hours for preparation beforehand and three hours the day of their topic.||Helping a specific team make progress in a specific area of their business. Mentors with affinity for a particular company may meet regularly with that company (once a week for an hour) to help them in a given area such as fundraising pitch deck, financial model, go to market strategy, or product.|
|Time Commitment: 1-5 hours||Time Commitment: 8-12 hours|
What are the attributes of a great mentor?
- Contributes time. You have time to contribute (we ask for at least five hours a week over the course of the program) and want to use that time to “pay forward” your experience and skills through mentorship.
- Brings positive energy. ActivateNM asks a lot of its participating companies. You’ll help keep spirits up and minds engaged throughout the process through thick and then.
- Forces focus. You’ll act as a Lean Startup coach to companies, asking questions that get them to think about what a lean approach looks like for a given problem, calling out assumptions that need testing, and helping them get creative about testing those assumptions in the leanest ways possible.
- Tells the truth. Great mentors tell the truth, especially the hard truths. Issues with team dynamics, poor decision making, lack of listening–all these issues kill early-stage companies and must be called out and dealt with. You’re given license to do so in the spirit of positive energy.
- Shares from experience, connects to fill gaps. Whenever possible you speak from experience and not from conjecture. You’re vulnerable and admit when you don’t have the answers, but help connect companies to the right resources when they’re needed.
What do mentors receive in return?
- Access to some of the smartest and talented founders in New Mexico who are hungry to go big with their startup.
- Recognition on the ActivateNM website and social media before, during, and after the program, and from the stage at Demo Day.
- The knowledge that you made a difference in a company’s life and are helping grow the entrepreneur-led economic development movement in New Mexico.
What are the key expectations of mentors?
Mentors agree to:
- Commit and dedicate at least five hours via one or more of the roles described above
- Not to push or solicit payment or equity within the program. Mentors are free to engage if companies proactively solicit consultation or roles above and beyond those described above; otherwise, your contribution is 100% voluntary.
- Sign and abide by our code of conduct.
How do I sign up?
Reach out to us directly via the Contact page.